ITS ALL ABOUT YOU
Thoughts for wellness promotion:
Sleep exercise and nutrition:Sleep loss has negative effects including learning and cognition which is why it is important to avoid sleepless nights and to watch for circadian violations.
– Spend 10 mins a day being physically active.
– Eat balanced meals and less simple sugars.
– Take a break during shift and eat a healthy snack.
Personal Health:Establish routine physician care including preventative care and mental health
– Avoid self-treatment and self-diagnosis
– Annual doctor visits
Mindfulness: is a technique used to reflect on the present situation while acknowledging and accepting one’s feelings, thoughts, and physical being.
– Learn meditation; develop awareness
– Take personal time to reflect on you
– Start writing a journal
Positivity: A culture of positive thinking is paramount for personal wellness
– Reflect on 3 things a day one is grateful for
– Notice and vocalize when others have helped you
– After each and every shift, reflect on the meaningful effect you have had
What to do outside residency?:
– Set aside an hour everyday to decompress and destress
– Set aside a block of time daily that is YOU time only
– Plan vacations that are work free
– Try new hobbies
– Devote time to friends and family and make it a priority
Adapted from Ross, Shana DO. “Strategies to Enhance Wellness in Emergency Medicine Training Programs.” Science Direct. Dec 2017
What Is Stoicism and 9 Ways to Get Started
Center for Effective Altruism